Sunday, March 17, 2013

Success, Squinky Style!

In my last post I mentioned that I planned on using miniature wooden spools for the bodies to accompany the Squinky heads I sculpted.  Yesterday I had ballet shuttle duty and while my daughter was in class, I went over to one of the local non-chain craft/art supply/children’s stores (my daughter’s ballet school prefers the parents to drop the kids off, that way the students aren’t distracted by the parents and can focus on class), hoping to find some spools.  Nice store, but no spools, so I headed on over to the local branches of the big chains.  No spools, but there was some Sculpey on clearance, so I picked that up, along with a giant bag of assorted beads. 

After lunch, we headed home.  The monkey (that’s my pet name for my daughter see )  had decided earlier in the week she wanted to do a daddy-daughter crafty afternoon, so she made some Sculpey sea creatures while I tried to figure my body image problem.  Eventually I came up with this: 

I thought it would work, so I made seven more to go with the eight heads already made.  I also made feet, using the heart shaped cookie cutter.  Once both the feet and bodies were cool, I decided to assemble them, which began my exercise in frustration.  I did not ensure the feet had a flat surface on which to glue the bodies, nor did I make sure the bodies’ legs were even. 

  My figs leaned worse than sailors coming back from liberty.  Plus the glue I was using, which worked so well with the little people, was coming up short with the Squinkies, allowing the bodies to slide off the feet when I tried to attach the heads.  In a fit of pique, I ripped everything apart and ordered spools and hearts from a craft supplier online.  On the plus side, the monkey had fun making her sea creatures. 

Where’s the success alluded to in the title, you ask?  That came today.  I had to glue fins back on the green goggle-eyed fish my daughter made.  I used super glue instead of the tacky craft glue I had been using yesterday.  It worked!  That got me thinking; maybe I should use super glue instead?  It worked on the figs!  Here it is, partially completed, next to a Squinky Stormtrooper for comparison.
Aren't you a little short to be a Stormtrooper?
I decided to go without the sculpted feet, I just couldn't make that work.  I think some craft foam ones will fix the problem.  I managed to finish up one complete figure before dinner:
Be just and fear not!
My backpack's got jets!
The arms are made from craft foam, the gun is cut from a craft stick, the jet pack is made out of beads from the big bag o' beads.  I wouldn't put it on Cool Mini or Not  but I think it turned out well.  I have to decide what paint scheme to go with.  I'm leaning towards Rogue Trader era Ultramarines.  Of course, then I'll need a dread......


  1. I really like it! I cannot wait to see them painted and en masse.

  2. Thanks! I'm pretty chuffed about it myself. I'm hoping to get them painted this weekend. I've been looking at my old White Dwarfs to get some painting inspiration.